Who drinking rum? I’m drinking!
Admit it, when you think of vacationing in a new and exotic country, more than likely, tasting and sampling a few local rums and other local liquors is on your ‘must-do’ list. Who doesn’t like to have a good time while sipping on a cocktail?
Perhaps one of the most popular and iconic locally-made alcoholic drinks in Belize is rum. Belizean rum is something that every visitor is encouraged to try (of course once you are over 18 years old); and we recommend Belize’s most iconic distillery, Traveller’s Liquors Ltd. Their unique blends are perfectly aged in the finest barrels available. Travellers is located on the Northern Highway in Belize City and offers a tour of their Heritage Center where visitors can experience how rum is produced and sample a variety of aged blends.
The Traveller’s Distillery single-handily produced 24 different products, making it truly a spirited legacy. In addition, they make liqueurs and wines from local fruits. Their rums are popular because they are silky and flavorful to the palate, a perfect pairing to any mix you desire.
Here are the top five rums that you must try when you’re in Belize.
- One Barrel Rum is unquestionably Belize’s favorite rum and the best selling liquor in the country: simple gold rum with a smooth finish
- Fiesta rum– The spicy rum! Pairs well with Coke or Ginger Beer
- Belizean Rum– The latest addition to the gold rum family is inspired by the beauty of Belize. This rum is the perfect mix with Coke, Sprite or mixed in Rum Punch.
- Kuknat Rum–This sweet rum is made with natural Belizean coconut essences. Try it with pineapple juice to make the famous Panti-Rippa, a Belizean cocktail.
- Classic Gold Rum– this light golden rum has a smooth, mild vanilla taste. Perfect touch for Pina Coladas, Mojitos or Cuba Libre.
Drink responsibly and taste the ‘Cul-Cha’ of Belize!
Written by Vivian Lizarraga