Whether you are a shrimp, conch or lobster lover, making ceviche is the ultimate Belizean appetizer.
The best Belizean ceviche is made with fresh raw conch and there’s nothing better than enjoying it with some fresh homemade chips on a hot, sunny day.
Elvi’s Kitchen, Ambergris Caye
- 1-pound conch, trimmed, peeled, diced
- 2 cups tomatoes, deseeded, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, deseeded, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced, rinsed with cold water
- ½ cup cilantro, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, deseeded, minced, optional
- 12 large limes, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Wash conch thoroughly before dicing. Combine all ingredients and season to taste. Let stand in refrigerator for 1 hour or more before serving.
Immerse yourself in the Belizean cuisine and enjoy this delicious seafood plate.
*Recipe from Flavors of Belize, Second Edition.