The Mestizo capitals of Corozal and Orange Walk are a delight to visit. With the beauty of the turquoise waters of the Corozal Bay to the flavorful tacos of Orange Walk town – visiting the north is an enriching cultural experience.
Corozal is conveniently located between Mexico and Ambergris Caye, with its own turquoise shores and diverse landscape, from beaches and historical sights to a nature reserve. In town, remnants of historical and cultural heritage are on full display.
Only an hour north of Belize City, Orange Walk, affectionately known as “Shuga City”, for its sugar cane production, is home to the majority of the country’s Mestizo population. Beyond the tempting rum factories, Orange Walk is both rustic and authentic. This is a place where it is not far-fetched to go for a morning rainforest run and spot an ocelot stealthily crossing jungle trails.
Corozal is home to an East Indian Population, whose 19th-century arrival to work on sugar cane fields is revealed at the Window into the Past Museum. The district’s diversity further shines at music, food, and community spirit of Corozal. At sunset, families cool off in the bay or stroll along the town’s waterfront, where the sunsets are among the most breathtaking in Belize.
- Visit Corozal Townhall and Corozal House of Culture
- Take a dip in Corozal Bay
- Shop at local markets
- Visit the Corozal Museum
- Visit the East Indian Museum
- Shop at Art in the Park in Central Park (monthly event)
- Explore Cerros and Santa Rita
- Go birding at Shipstern Conservation and Management Area
- Take a day trip to Sarteneja
As surprising as Orange Walk’s wild landscapes: its fun-loving spirit. Enjoy colorful festivities in Orange Walk such as Sugar City Rum Festival, Fiestarama, and September Carnival Parade with each beat as vibrant and cheerful as the soul of an Orange Walkeno.
• Visit Banquitas House of Culture
• Try the Famous Orange Walk Tacos
• Visit Queen Victoria Park on Saturdays
• Enjoy birding at Rio Bravo Conservation and Management Area
• Cruise the New River Lagoon on a boat tour
• Explore El Pilar La Milpa Lamanai and Cuello
• Swim and picnic at Honey Camp Lagoon
• Visit Shipyard Mennonite Village