One week in Belize? Say no more. There’s so much you can experience in this amazing jewel within that time; from the exciting beach and marine adventures to wild, adrenaline rushing jungle expeditions. Here is our five- day travel plan for you to get a sampling of what makes Belize unique.
Arrive at Belize City to the Philip Goldson Int’l Airport (BZE). Depending on what time your flight gets in, you may have to overnight in Belize City – no problem at all! There’s plenty to do. If you’re staying in the city, we recommend staying at the Best Western Plus Biltmore or The Radisson Fort George Hotel and Marina. From Belize City, you can visit the Altun Ha Maya Ruins which is about 45 minutes from the city and can be a stop off your way out west. To book tours check with your hotel concierge, Jaguar Adventure Tours or Gobelizing.com
- When in Cayo you can stay at Hidden Valley Inn in the Mountain Pine Ridge, San Ignacio Resort Hotel in the heart of town or at The Lodge at Chaa Creek.
- To start your day, take a scenic trip to Xunantunich Maya Ruins which will be a relatively short car ride from anywhere you’re staying in the Cayo District. Once you arrive at the river, you’ll take a hand-cranked ferry to cross the river and get to the Mayan site. (these arrangements can be made through your hotel).
- Visit the Green Iguana Conservation Project to learn about this interesting specie and what they’re doing to keep their population alive – this is especially fun for kids!
- Have lunch at the famous Guava Limb Café and enjoy delicious internationally-inspired dishes and refreshing tropical cocktails.
- Whether you decided to stay at The Lodge at Chaa Creek or not, the resort is still open to outside guests for day trips and tours. You can chose from birding, hiking trails or take a canoe ride down the river.
- Take advantage of already being on site and have lunch right at the resort, then move onto some R&R.
- With an active second day on the books already, you might want to consider visiting the Spa at Chaa Creek for an afternoon of relaxation, chose from facials, massages, scrubs, and many other treatments. We promise you won’t regret it. If you have your kids with you, they can keep busy by visiting the Natural History Museum and Butterfly Farm.
- Decide whether you prefer to go to the Belize Zoo (biggest little zoo in the world) or if you rather go cave tubing and ziplining through the Belize rainforest. If you’re really ambitious, you can probably do both! Both of these activities are kid-friendly and enjoyable for the entire family.
- Book your transfer back to the (BZE) Belize International Airport to arrive at least 2 hours ahead of your international flight.
- Visit the Belikin Store inside the airport (everyone must have one last Belikin before leaving!) The airport is also full of many souvenir shops if you need to do your shopping on the way out.
Written by Tanya McNab