In an effort to further protect the health and wellbeing of international visitors and Belizeans from COVID-19, Belize Tourism Board (BTB), the official tourism organization for Belize, has released new safe travel standards for any persons entering the country. Effective Feb. 15, 2022, all visitors are required to apply for Belize Travel Health Insurance; this is mandatory insurance that helps protect travelers against incurred medical and non-medical expenses if they test positive for COVID-19 during their stay in Belize.
The cost of the policy is $18 USD and provides coverage for up to $50,000 USD in medical expenses related to the treatment of COVID-19 for a period of 21 days. This insurance plan will come online under the country’s public health regulations and provide cover for lodging expenses due to quarantine up to $2,000 USD (max $300/day USD). Travelers will also be covered for emergency assistance services such as air evacuation and emergency expenses related to pre-existing conditions. Furthermore, it covers trip cancellations and expenses incurred by COVID-19 positive travelers for extended stays.
Important Notes Before Flying to Belize:
- It is recommended that travelers purchase the Belize Travel Health Insurance prior to their travel to Belize. However, purchases can be made upon arrival at the Philip Goldson International Airport or at Belize’s land borders.
- Visitors must purchase Belize Travel Health Insurance. They are also required to complete the Customs and Immigration form. One is given on all flights to Belize.
- Exempted from this mandatory insurance are Belizean nationals, permanent residents, travelers with QRP or Long Stay status, and flight crews.
- All international tourists must book their stay in Belize at a Gold Standard property (approved hotel or accommodation) and present confirmation at immigration.
- All travelers at PGIA, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test.
- If no test is presented, a COVID-19 test is given at the airport for $50US per passenger. Children under the age of 5 years will not be required to present a negative test.