Earlier this year the Belize Airports Authority (BAA) announced the closure of the Placencia airport. The runway was expected to get revamped. During May 1 to September 30, renovations would’ve included the revamping, lengthening, widening and the installing of runway lighting on the airstrip.
Due to a delay in construction, as of July 1, flights to the Placencia airport have resumed. Both Tropic Air and Maya Island Air have revised schedules to suit your travel needs to the South. Additionally, the new temporary closure dates have not been released as yet. However, the information will be passed along as soon as it is made available.
Where to Stay in Placencia
Placencia, located at the Southern tip of the Placencia Peninsula, is home to an 18- mile “barefoot perfect” beach. Stay at one of the many beautiful beach front properties. The Placencia airport is a mere 10 minute drive away.
Must Do’s in Placencia
- Take a day trip to dive and snorkel with Splash Dive Centre to Offshore Islands – Silk Cayes and Laughing Bird National Park
- Explore Hopkins Village and Placencia Village on bike
- Shop along the Placencia Sidewalk
- Enjoy Beachfront Walks, stop in at Tipsy Tuna Beach Bar for a tropical cocktail
- Take the ‘Bunches of Fun’ Banana Farm Tour
- Go birding in Sittee River
- Relax on the Monkey River Boat Ride
- Jungle Hike, Zip-line and Waterfall Rappel at Mayflower Bocawina National Park
- Visit Cockscomb Wildlife Basin and go hiking, birding or river tubing