Traveling to Placencia later this year? Keep in mind that the airstrip in Placencia (PLJ) will be temporarily closed between July 17th to November 17th, 2020. The latest delay in the recent closure, according to the Belize Airports Authority (BAA), is to facilitate a revamp of the runway. Revamping, lengthening, widening and the installing of runway lighting will all be done. Alternatively, the Riversdale airstrip will be used as the temporary airstrip used during the closure.
Where to Stay in Placencia
Placencia, located at the Southern tip of the Placencia Peninsula, is home to an 18- mile “barefoot perfect” beach. In addition to flight, you can also get to Placencia by road transfer. The drive is roughly three hours on the scenic Humming Bird Highway from Belize City. Meanwhile, you can stay at one of the many beautiful beach front properties. After all, the Placencia airport is a mere 10-minute drive away from town.
Must Do’s in Placencia, despite Airstrip Closure
- Take a day trip to dive and snorkel with Splash Dive Centre to Offshore Islands – Silk Cayes and Laughing Bird National Park
- Explore Hopkins Village and Placencia Village on bike
- Shop along the Placencia Sidewalk
- Enjoy Beachfront Walks, stop in at Tipsy Tuna Beach Bar for a tropical cocktail
- Take the ‘Bunches of Fun’ Banana Farm Tour
- Go birding in Sittee River
- Relax on the Monkey River Boat Ride
- Jungle Hike, Zip-line and Waterfall Rappel at Mayflower Bocawina National Park
- Visit Cockscomb Wildlife Basin and go hiking, birding or river tubing