Traveling to Placencia later this year? Keep in mind that the airstrip in Placencia (PLJ) will be temporarily closed for the period of May 1 to September 30, 2020.
According to the Belize Airports Authority (BAA), this closure will be done to facilitate a revamp of the runway. Revamping, lengthening, widening and the installing of runway lighting will all be done. The Belize Airports Authority (BAA) is currently finalizing plans to use an alternate airstrip nearby. The information will be passed along as soon as it is made available.
Tropic Air Placencia Airstrip Closure Plan
March ( 2020 ) Tropic Air released the following statement relating to their closure plan.
We are reaching out to share our service plan for Placencia during the coming airstrip (PLJ) construction closure.
Here is what we know and how we intend to make it work for our customers:
- The airstrip is scheduled to be closed for runway expansion and light installation from May 1 to September 30, 2020.
- Tropic Air will be using Riversdale Airstrip at the north end of the Peninsula for the closure period only. We intend to resume normal PLJ operations no later than October 1, 2020.
- Our terminal at the PLJ airstrip will remain open for business.
- Due to limited infrastructure, including no cell coverage, at Riversdale, all passengers must check in at the PLJ airstrip (not at the Riversdale location). They need to do so no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled departure time of the flight.
- Free transfers will be provided to the Riversdale airstrip from PLJ. If you choose your own means of transport after checking in, you will be responsible for getting to the airstrip in time for the flight.
- Arriving passengers can either be picked up at Riversdale airstrip or at our PLJ terminal. Free transportation to our terminal will be provided and greeters should allow at least 30 minutes after the scheduled arrival for passengers to be transported to PLJ.
- Cargo will only be accepted, and can only be picked up, at the PLJ terminal.
If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us with them. We thank you for your business and for helping to make Tropic the airline of Belize.
The Tropic Air Team
Wondering how you will get to Placencia?
In addition to flight, you can also get to Placencia by road transfer. The drive is roughly three hours on the scenic Humming Bird Highway from Belize City. Many tour operators and hotels offer transfer services to and from Placencia with pick up and drop-offs at your desired location.