locataaaBelize Airport Authority Closure of Placencia (PLJ) Airstrip
Traveling to Placencia later this year? Keep in mind that the airstrip in Placencia (PLJ) will be temporarily closed for the period of May 1 to September 30, 2020.
According to the Belize Airports Authority (BAA), this closure will be done to facilitate a revamp of the runway. Revamping, lengthening, widening and the installing of runway lighting will all be done. The Belize Airports Authority (BAA) is currently finalizing plans to use an alternate airstrip nearby. The information will be passed along as soon as it is made available.
Wondering how you will get to Placencia?
In addition to flight, you can also get to Placencia by road transfer. The drive is roughly three hours on the scenic Humming Bird Highway from Belize City.
Many tour operators and hotels offer transfer services to and from Placencia with pick up and drop-offs at your desired location.
What to do in Placencia
Placencia, located at the Southern tip of the Placencia Peninsula, is home to an 18- mile “barefoot perfect” beach. Placencia has emerged as an increasingly popular eco-destination in the Caribbean. For those who enjoy outdoor adventures, Placencia is the place to be. Enjoy snorkeling, swimming, fishing, and diving in pristine waters. In addition to marine adventures, the Southern parts of Belize are also famous for its lush greenery and beautiful mountains. It is perfect for a jungle adventure. Therefore, you can river tube, visit the Southern Maya Sites such as Nim Li Punit and Lubaantun and much more.
Must Do’s in Placencia
- Take a day trip to dive and snorkel to Offshore Islands – Silk Cayes and Laughing Bird National Park
- Explore Hopkins Village and Placencia Village on bike
- Shop along the Placencia Sidewalk
- Enjoy Beachfront Walks
- Take the ‘Bunches of Fun’ Banana Farm Tour
- Go birding in Sittee River
- Relax on the Monkey River Boat Ride
- Jungle Hike, Zip-line and Waterfall Rappel at Mayflower Bocawina National Park
- Visit Cockscomb Wildlife Basin