WestJet has become the next airline to offer no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance for select customers. The cover will go into effect for reservations made on or after September 18th and will be available for international travel.
WestJet offering free COVID-19 cover
For guests making reservations on or after September 18th for air travel or vacation packages through WestJet, This is valid for travel to or from Mexico, the Caribbean (minus the US), Europe and the United Kingdom, and inbound travelers to Canada. Passengers will receive no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance through WestJet’s new partner TuGo.
Coverage will be applied automatically to purchases. The COVID-19 cover is for travel until August 31st, 2021, for up to 21 days for roundtrip flights. If you are flying one-way, those reservations will be eligible for coverage up to seven days. Do note, however, that the offer is not valid for domestic itineraries.
What does the COVID-19 cover include?
The travel insurance specifically for COVID-19 includes:
- Coverage for emergency medical and hospital costs for outbound travelers if diagnosed with COVID-19 outside of Canada (minus the US) for a maximum of C$100,000 (~US$75,800) per insured person
- Emergency medical and hospital coverage for inbound travelers that are diagnosed with the virus while in Canada for a maximum of C$100,000 per insured person (~US$75,800)
- Quarantine accommodation costs for when a traveler tests positive for COVID-19 on the trip, up to C$150 (~US$114) per day for a maximum of 14 days on both inbound and outbound reservations
- Transportation via ambulance or air evacuation costs related to COVID-19, up to C$100,000 (~US$75,800) per insured person on inbound and outbound passengers
- COVID-19 repatriation costs in case of death up to C$5,000 (~US$3794) per insured person for inbound and outbound guests
- One-way airfare in economy for a traveling companion and dependent children when air evacuated back home for treatment
Service to Belize from Canada via WestJet
Read more on WestJet’s COVID-19 Insurance below: