Location-independent and technology-dependent, digital nomads and remote workers are here to stay. Although a trend long before COVID, the pandemic threw telecommuting (rather than being physically present at an office) into overdrive. Tourist hotspots used the opportunity to adapt to the new demand and flung their doors wide open for remote workers. Now, Belize joins with a slew of sunny destinations to offer a remote working program—but much cheaper than others in the region. What are the requirements? Where do you have to pay taxes? Which country is the most friendly? And, crucially, is the wifi going to be fast enough? At just US$250 per adult, you too can Work Where You Vacation with Belize’s newest visa program for digital nomads and remote workers.
The short answer as to whether you’re eligible for Belize’s remote worker program? Probably. The destination’s requirements are fairly easy to achieve, as Belize would like to extend a warm welcome to as many people as possible. To be eligible for the Work Where You Vacation program, you must:
- Show proof of employment outside of Belize (min annual income of USD $75,000 for individuals, USD $100,000 for couples/families)
- Share a notarized banking reference and statement of account
- Supply a clear criminal record (no more than 6 months old)
- Possess a valid passport
- Carry a travel insurance policy (min. US $50,000 coverage)
The chance to live and work in Belize is hard to pass up for a digital nomad. Luckily, the process is simple. To begin:
- Apply online with the Belize Immigration Department
- Await approval
- Travel to Belize with the necessary documents
- Pay the Work Where You Vacation fee at the airport
- Spend a maximum of 180 days experiencing Belize
HOW TO GRAB LIFE, IN BELIZE
Bring an open mind, and Belize will meet it with wide-open outdoor spaces ready to be the setting for spectacular experiences. Here, you can dive into the world’s second-largest reef, explore Maya artifacts, paddle through underground caves, or simply lay on the beach.
We live in the ultimate outdoor playground and have worked hard to make it the adventurous paradise you seek—all you need to do is let go of your inhibitions and trust your instincts. Forget the stresses of your life. Leave your worries behind. Live in the moment and seize it like it’s the only thing that matters; in reality, it is. That’s what it means to Grab Life—this is indeed the promise of Belize.