Who’s drinking rum? I’m drinking! Admit it, when you think of vacationing in a new and exotic country, more than likely, tasting and sampling the local liquor is on your ‘must-do’ list. Who doesn’t like to have a good time while sipping on a cocktail, especially when you’re in the Caribbean?
Perhaps one of the most popular and iconic locally-made alcoholic drinks in Belize is rum. Belizean rum is something that every visitor is encouraged to try once over the age of 18 years old (Belize’s legal drinking age). To do so, we recommend Belize’s most iconic distillery, Traveller’s Liquors Ltd. Their unique blends are perfectly aged in the finest barrels available, sourced from U.S. brands like Jack Daniels, Jim Bean, and more.
Traveller’s Rum is aged inside imported whiskey barrels for 1, 3, 5, and 10. Ages are on each label, i.e. 3 Barrel Rum.
The Traveller’s Distillery single-handily produced 24 different products, making it truly a spirited legacy. In addition, they make liqueurs and wines from local fruits. Their rums are popular because they are silky and flavorful to the palate, a perfect pairing to any mix you desire.
Top 5 rums to taste when in Belize
In no particular order, here are our recommendations! Travellers Liquors is located on the Northern Highway in Belize City and offer a tour of their Heritage Center where visitors can experience how rum is produced and sample a variety of aged blends.
- One Barrel Rum. Perhaps Belize’s favorite rum and the best-selling liquor in the country. It is a simple gold rum with a smooth finish.
- Fiesta Rum. This is a spiced rum by Travellers! Fiesta rum pairs well with mixers like a Coke or Ginger Beer.
- Belizean Rum. The latest addition to the gold rum family is inspired by the beauty of Belize, evident in its packaged bottle. This rum is the perfect mix with Coke, Sprite or mixed into Rum Punch.
- Kuknat Rum. This sweet rum is made with natural Belizean coconut. Try it with pineapple juice to make the famous Panti-Rippa, a signature Belizean cocktail.
- Classic Gold Rum. This light golden rum has a smooth, mild vanilla taste. It is the perfect touch for Pina Coladas, Mojitos, or even a Cuba Libre.
Drink responsibly and taste the kulcha of Belize by sampling these top 5 rums while in the country!