First Look: Four Seasons’ Plans For a Private Island Resort and Residences in Belize

by Carolee Chanona

There are a few destinations in North America that can offer such a varied experience as Belize—diving, snorkeling, hiking, cultural immersion, historical landmarks, etc—within 2-hour proximity from the United States. And big brands have seemingly taken notice. Now, luxury hotel group Four Seasons is planning to open a new property off the coast of Belize in Q2 of 2024, according to a statement shared Wednesday. The Four Seasons’ first private island in the Americas will be dubbed Caye Chapel in Belize, a private island community to include 24 beachfront residences and a 104-key resort with luxe overwater bungalows.

Could This Be Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts’ First Private Island in the Americas?

In a recent share by the Robb Report, access to the private island is said to exclusively be offered by a private fleet of boats. The resort and residences are designed to celebrate the natural beauty of Belize and all the singular experiences it offers. In terms of watersports, you’ll be able to enjoy kayaking, paddle boarding, kiteboarding, jet skiing, and sailing. You can also embark on snorkeling day trips to the aforementioned reef or partake in curated dives with renowned environmentalist Fabien Cousteau. Offshore, the Belize Barrier Reef beckons as the second-largest reef system in the world.

Previous ownership of Caye Chapel was synonymous with golfing, and from the looks of it, the Four Seasons plans to honor its reputation. The resort will feature a nine-hole reversible golf course with a practice range that converts into a three-part course, as well as a full-service spa and a wellness hub called the Sunrise Sanctuary.

The latter comes complete with a yoga and meditation studio, a reflection pool, an indoor-outdoor gym, a sports court, an observatory for stargazing, and a nature reserve with hiking trails.

Tentative Opening Date: 2024

Then, there’ll be The Fort: a kids-focused education and adventure center with access to scuba school, off-island wildlife treks, an interactive water park, and organic gardening classes. All activities are designed to help them embrace the great outdoors.

Dining on-site will vary from waterfront sushi and omakase restaurant to an all-day seafood joint, a farm-to-table eatery, and even a bar with top-shelf wine and spirits. In between, indulge in poolside fare, cabana service, and in-residence dining.

According to the statement, the Four Seasons Caye Chapel plans to only develop 10 percent of the island with its structural development, while the remaining 90 percent will be dedicated to conservation, nature reserves, and outdoor experiences.

There are also plans for a conservation center named after Cousteau on the property that is dedicated to protecting and strengthening the reef.

All image renderings courtesy of Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.

Related Articles