Belize reopened for tourism on October 1, 2020. To ease travel to the country during the COVID-19 pandemic, a four-step system is introduced for travelers that are ready to plan their next trip to Belize. From the rainforests to the sea, to the mysterious Maya world, Belize has a range of adventures no other country of its size can offer. Not to mention, friendly, unforgettable people who are more than happy to help visitors truly discover how to be. So you may tell want to hear about the new four-step system, due to the coronavirus pandemic. Here are the details!
Belize, formerly the colony of British Honduras, is the only country in Central America without a coastline on the Pacific Ocean (only the Caribbean Sea to its east), and the only one in the region with English as its official language. The country is located between Guatemala to the west and south and Mexico to the north. Belize’s network of highways and readily available flights within the country make it convenient to explore.
Belize’s Four-Step Travel System During COVID-19
1. Before you travel
- Book travel to Belize at approved Gold Standard Hotels
- Take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of travel if you would like to avoid testing on arrival
- Follow all protocols of airlines and airports in the originating city
Download the Belize Health App and complete the required information within 72 hours of your flight to Belize. Travelers will be given a unique ID when completed. The app is available for both iOS (for iPhone and iPad). Have an Android device? Download the .apk file here until the app is available on Google Play.
2. Arrival in Belize
- Disembark the plane and proceed to Hospitality Meet & Greet.
- Proceed to Health Screening and testing
- Verify certified COVID-19 PCR test Results
a. NO TEST
You need to head to the testing area. You will need to get a swab test at a cost of $50 inside the airport’s testing area and self-isolate at their accommodations until results come back from the ministry of health. Visitors will receive their test results at their Gold Standard hotel via the Ministry of Health.
If travelers receive positive results during their trip, they will be placed in a minimum 14-day quarantine at their hotel—at their own expense—until the Ministry of Health gives them clearance to leave.
b. (-) TEST RESULT
If you provide a negative test result within 72 hours of flight, you can proceed to immigration and customs.
3. Immigration & Customs
- Immigration check. People should keep an eye on social distancing in the queue.
- After the check, you can proceed to the baggage claim.
- After baggage claim, you can proceed to customs. They may ask you to place your bags on luggage scanners for customs control.
- The final step here is to continue to your next transportation; either a domestic flight or ground transportation with approved Gold Standard Providers.
4. Your Stay in Belize
- Arrive at Gold Standard hotel within the Tourism Safe Corridor.
- Belize Travel Health App will check in daily for symptoms (by Unique ID)
- If you show symptoms, the Ministry of Health may ask to test and place you in quarantine at your Gold Standard Hotel. And departure upon health clearance.
ONE DESTINATION, INFINITE EXPERIENCES
Belize is roughly the size of Massachusetts, and it’s easy to explore its diverse corners in one trip. For clients who want an irresistible mix of experiences—from underwater adventures to seaside relaxation to rainforest explorations to historic and cultural discoveries—Belize has it all. Ready to travel to Belize for your next trip?
Article adapted from FTNews.com. Header photo courtesy Hamanasi Adventure & Dive Resort.