Is the glass half empty, or is it really half full? Is the season slow, or simply prime for the pickings all to yourself? I guess it depends on how you look at it, but September is a sweet spot when it comes to celebrating the last bit of summer. If you still haven’t nailed down plans or hoping to squeeze in a second (!!) vacation in the latter part of summer, here’s why September in Belize renders an incredible post-pandemic getaway that’s saving you some coins, too.
Where to stay
Budget-minded travelers can count on off-peak periods to find the best bargains for the humble brag of vacationing on a private island, inside a forest reserve, or beachfront in Belize. Below, muse a few we’ve found so far.
Hidden Valley Inn. Use code “CCL22” when booking directly to get 30% off rooms and 10% off tours inside their 7,200 lush acres. Plus, your choice of a complimentary birding tour or guided night walk.
Sunbreeze Suites. Book any of the 21 spacious Ocean Front Suites at Sunbreeze, each with its own private balcony, for 6 nights or more and get up to 30% off your stay.
Victoria House Resort & Spa. Stay in September before the 19th and slash 20% off stays in any two-bedroom Luxury Villa, one or two-bedroom Infinity Suite, or Casa Azul Villa at Victoria House.
Ray Caye. The private island resort in the South is making a splash with 20% off plus your 5th night free during their ‘sweet summer savings’ promo.
How to get to Belize
A quick escape to Belize is made even easier, thanks to daily flights on major carriers out of many major city hubs.
- Air Canada resumes direct non-stop flight service from Toronto to Belize in December 2022.
- American Airlines offers daily flights from Miami and Dallas.
- Alaska Airlines departs from Los Angeles and Seattle on regular weekly schedules.
- Avianca Airlines connects San Salvador, El Salvador with Belize.
- Copa Airlines flies once weekly from Panama City for greater connectivity to Central America.
- Delta Air Lines has regularly scheduled flights from Atlanta and Los Angeles.
- Frontier Airlines offers direct service to Orlando and Denver.
- Maya Island Air is your best travel resource offering 11 in-country Belize stops.
- Southwest Airlines has service from Houston and Denver, and hopefully, a return of their Ft. Lauderdale service.
- Sun Country is a non-stop seasonal link with Minneapolis-St. Paul.
- Tropic Air services hot spots like Cancun, Merida, Roatan, San Pedro Sula, and Flores.
- United Airlines flies to Belize from Houston and Newark.
- WestJet Airlines is your ideal carrier if you live in Calgary or Toronto.
What to do during September in Belize
September is the height of civic pride celebrations in Belize as its month of independence. On September 10, parades across the country commemorate St. George’s Caye Day, a historic victory by the Baymen in a battle against the Spaniards. Or, have your visit overlap on September 21 to celebrate Independence Day; a carnival road march typically hits the pavement in Orange Walk Town, where masqueraders sway in vibrant costumes celebrating Caribbean culture. Or, fete until morning comes with j’ouvert. Pronounced “Jou-vay,” J’ouvert is Antillean creole and a compound of the French words `jour and `ouvert’ meaning daybreak; the pre-dawn libation sees revelers throw paint, powder, oil, and grease at one another while dancing until dawn. And perhaps if you’re lucky, there’ll be a Soca & Jazz Festival! International and local Belizean artists herald in Independence Day – fireworks included.